Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife & Mother

 During my recent adventures in motherhood, I have come to understand a bit more of what was meant by the "lost years".  These are the years in between being a child and being an adult, when we as teens tend to get lost in who we want to be and focus less on whom we really are already.  We loose that sense of self and become part of the world around us.  Those who influence us the most can have big impact on who we become. This can start at home with parents and siblings and gradually move towards our circle of friends and co-workers. 




Today can be a great day if we look at it through God's lenses.




When I began this journey, I was teenage girl with little direction but massive drive towards the goals I thought were important.  I have learned, throughout the years, that life has a funny way of changing right before our eyes.  I found myself, thriving and proud of my accomplishments but with little "true north".  My compass was moving in a direction I knew was different but who was I to question it.  I was in college and working towards my degree in marine science; something I had always wanted to do.  My faith was strong, and my drive was truly North, or so I thought.  I was wrong.  I found as I entered my mid-20's that this drive was the opposite of what I originally thought.  I was lost and wondering in the deserts of my surroundings looking for Him.  I was not sure of much, I knew God existed and that if I had the faith he would guide me.  I am head-strong and forgot to turn off my own compass to allow God to begin the work in me.  I know that people say, " No matter what, God's at work in us".  For me, that was just some saying that people tell others who are not sure of themselves.  I was sure of one thing, I was trying to paddle my life upstream instead of letting God lead me downstream. 
 
This was the first realization I had concerning my faith walk and how it weaved my decisions, my job orientation and even my  circles of friend .  I found myself looking at every aspect underneath a microscope and seeing that this "compass" of mine was steering me against His path!  I stopped and turned around, picking each part of my "compass" to align with His plan.  I also began to pray more, in my mind, you went to church weekly and prayer was part of that.  I had never shut the door to God, but I had compartmentalized my life into categories: Church, Friends, Work, Home, Family.   
 
How many of us try to separate all those things and then begin to prioritize things based on what value others hold these things to? I know that I tried to live my life to serve my Lord, but as I grew I realized that I had been serving me.  I had been striving for superficial goals and was leading myself into an abandoned desolate desert.
 
I believe that our children, our teenage children of God need to know that there will be struggles and we might go astray but that no matter what, God will steer us back to him if we trust his plan~
 
Proverbs 31:10-30New International Version (NIV)
Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character

10 [a]A wife of noble character who can find?

    She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her

    and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm,

    all the days of her life.

13 She selects wool and flax

    and works with eager hands.

14 She is like the merchant ships,

    bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still night;

    she provides food for her family

    and portions for her female servants.

16 She considers a field and buys it;

    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;

    her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable,

    and her lamp does not go out at night.

19 In her hand she holds the distaff

    and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

20 She opens her arms to the poor

    and extends her hands to the needy.

21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;

    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

22 She makes coverings for her bed;

    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,

    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

24 She makes linen garments and sells them,

    and supplies the merchants with sashes.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;

    she can laugh at the days to come.

26 She speaks with wisdom,

    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household

    and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;

    her husband also, and he praises her:

29 “Many women do noble things,

    but you surpass them all.”

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;

    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

 
So Proverbs 31 talks about faith and how wisdom comes from trusting God and leaning on his understands. He tells us that we are to work hard, find strength from God and in doing so can bring those we hold dear closer to God.  We can be confident in our endeavor as we walk this life to be a blessing to others and use our gifts to bring help to those in need.  We are called to be a good wife and mother, to be noble and to fear the Lord.  I find that looking forward on my path, I see wide with wisdom, courage and a women who has since found her way.  It is so gratifying at the age of 42 to see your life before you....look in any direction and know that you feel well.  I am whole with Christ and I know that no matter what sin I may display or whom I might not sit well with; I am well with the Lord.  God calls each of us wives and mothers to take on this life with zealous drive, eager to finish the task at hand, ready to see this day from dawn to dusk fulfilling our desire to please.  We can then delight in the days and be confident that we are clothed, fed and loved. 
 
Looking back at Proverbs for my teen daughters: This is my advice.  Remember to smell the roses and stop to see how much good you can do. There are people around you who are influencing your decisions, your work and your future.  Who are you looking to for guidance and strength?  I would ask that you find a trusted friend, an adult you look up to or a family member who shows you courage and strength at their worst.  Then I would say to remember that no matter what life gives you, He is watching and guiding you.  For a Proverbs mom, we are human making mistakes as we walk this life beside you and trying to show you the light.  We are gentle, kind, loving and most of all: an influence that can enlighten your day.  💗 building-life-long-perspective-wisdom~LoveGodGreatly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers